TVA-Recherche.fr was originally a project for a so called VWA, translated from German a pre-scientific paper during the final exam in Austria. Because the page got so popular and had so many visitors, who out of a sudden were able to find VAT IDs, the website was absorbed by Linkomat GmbH, placed in Vienna.
What makes this site unique is the reverse of the process of proofing VAT IDs. Moreover, it is possible to find these VAT IDs even when you only have the name of the company. This is mostly applied by companies, who either need the number of their affiliates for writting invoices or update their customer databses. In the latter case the VAT Number Register ist perfectly suited because of its normalized and uniquely relatable data (with the VAT number as primary key).
Alternatively this service can also be used to check vat numbers by inputting the number in the name field without considering the format .
Source of the Information
TVA-Recherche.fr is directly connected to public institutions who publish the information in the first place.
This sites simplifies the search of the following data:
- over 769.000 VAT IDs from Austria
- over 1,140.000 VAT IDs from Switzerland
- over 2,505.000 VAT IDs from Great Britain
- over 267.000 VAT IDs from Ireland
- over 1,753.000 VAT IDs from Italy
- over 319.000 VAT IDs from Portugal
- over 10,126.000 VAT IDs from France
- over 1,451.000 VAT IDs from Belgium
- over 2,155.000 VAT IDs from the Netherlands
- over 81.000 VAT IDs from Luxembourg
- over 1,631.000 VAT IDs from Denmark
- over 1,134.000 VAT IDs from Norway
- over 355.000 VAT IDs from Schweden
- over 86.000 VAT IDs from Estonia
- over 390.000 VAT IDs from Latvia
- over 619.000 VAT IDs from Finland
- over 390.000 VAT IDs from Poland
- over 225.000 VAT IDs from Czechia
- over 122.000 VAT IDs from Slovakia
- over 379.000 VAT IDs from Hungary
- over 111.000 VAT IDs from Slovenia
- over 209.000 VAT IDs from Croatia
- over 912.000 VAT IDs from Bulgaria
- over 2,727.000 VAT IDs from Romania
- over 525.000 VAT IDs from Greece
- over 53.000 VAT IDs from Malta
This search engine has only been made possible to realise due to the high performance of compution. If you hit the search button, the search algorithm checks all VAT numbers, matches the given name with them and sorts them after their relevance. Following functions make the search more efficient:
- Synonyms - different spellings and abbreviations of i.e. Limited lead to nearly the same results.
- Fuzzy Search - even misspellings are no obstacle to the wanted results as the algorithm uses similarity based on Levenshtein edit distance.
- Global Indexing - you can search after all entries in the index, which is why it is for instance possible to find the VAT IDs of a certain company in Great Britain and Austria at once.
- Geo Coordinates - if you do not know the name of the business you can enter the address and TVA-Recherche.fr will find the nearest matches.
- Register Numbers - if the company is registered you can get the Register Report by only clicking once.
- Further Information - in Great Britain und Luxembourg it is possible to get further information such as Incorporation Date, Status or Category about the company. This information is from the Company House.
Because sole traders often have a VAT number they are also listed in this search engine. Sometimes they see their privacy endangered, but if you contact Linkomat GmbH, your information will be deleted as soon as possible. However, exactly these entries are very interesting for some companies as these sole traders sometimes do not have any entry in the internet. The Linkomat GmbH is therefore confronted with two sides of sole traders. On the one hand person who do not want their private addresses etc. publically available and on the other hand businesses who implicitly want to be found because it is a kind of advertisement for them and otherwise their business would seem dubious (when the would appear as if they had no VAT ID).